Monday 10 September 2012

New and exciting.

Dear Esther,

Tomorrow is a big day. Your first day at school. Wow, that has come around fast. I remember the day you came screaming into the world, I remember cuddling you as a tiny baby on the sofa, I even remember your first day at nursery, but school...I'm not sure how we got here so fast!

Your uniform is all named and set out ready for tomorrow, your bag has dinner money in it, and your water bottle (with owls on of course!) is sitting in the kitchen ready to be filled in the morning. I'm lucky, I get to take you school on your first day. As a teacher, I've watched lots of children arrive for their first day at school, and I've seen lots of parents wipe a tear (or two!) from their eyes as they walked out of the door. Now it's my turn, and I fear there may be a tear or two.

I shall miss you little Bear. I shall miss our day together in the week. We've had lots of fun and laughter on our girls' days. Phoebe and  I will be looking forward to picking you up on Thursdays. I hope you'll be as funny, sweet, polite and clever for your teachers as you are for me. I hope you're a little less stroppy though! I know you'll do well. You want to know everything, you're ready to learn, and you're so excited.

I found this poem, which sums it up quite well :


I wonder what you’re doing right now,
If everyone is treating you kind.
I hope there is a Special person,
A nice friend that you can find.
I wonder if the teacher knows,
Just how special you are to me.
If the brightness of your heart
is something she can see.
I wonder if you are thinking about me,
or if you need a hug.
I already miss the sound of your voice,
and how you give my leg a tug.
I wonder if you can understand
how hard it is for me to let you grow,
on this day know that my heart breaks,
      as this is the first step in letting my baby go.

So with a slightly chipped heart I shall hand you over tomorrow to Mrs. Fleming. I only hope she sees the shining light that burns in you, and nurtures it well. Enjoy it little Bear. Enjoy every moment, and be the very best you can.
Love you always,
Mummy x

No comments:

Post a Comment